Tuesday 10 April 2012

Amsterdam Museum

I'll be honest, when I get a City Pass for 2 or 3 days in any city, I do so for two reasons

Reason 1: to see as many places as possible and decide which establishments will be lucky enough to be graced with my presence and money in the future for an additional, more thorough visit. (My father's side)

Reason 2: to see how much 'money' I can make back by zooming around as many places as humanly possible in the allocated time; adding up what I WOULD have spent, had I paid full price compared to what I actually paid on average for each place through my magic pass. (My mother's side)


Let's concentrate on Reason 1. One place I would definitely recommend and would return to at full price would be the Amsterdam Museum.



The museum is actually called The Amsterdam Museum, which can be confusing because when you Google 'Amsterdam Museum', everything comes up from the Van Gough to the Sex Museum.


The Amsterdam Museum is located in the centre of town, a couple of minutes walk from Dam Square take trams 1, 2 or 5 and stop at SPUI.


Off the busy shopping street you find the entrance pictured above. The courtyard has several small pictures almost like little exhibitions that you don't need to pay to see. There is also a cafe with seating inside and out.


Just past the courtyard, on the left is the entrance to the Museum itself. You are taken through through the history of Amsterdam from its beginning as a small fishing area, through centuries of growth, settlers, war and prosperity through to today.


The visuals, exhibitions and audio sections are all very well put together. You get a leaflet when you go in that you can scan at several points around the museum. The videos in front of you then play through ear pieces in your languagegiving a guide to that particular section.

Recommended, and very central, normal price is €10.00. You can get an additional audio tour for €4.00 if you want to take your time (which I would if going again) but if you don't want to spend that there is still plenty to see and hear without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment